Functions of Logistics and trucking in various industries
The functions of the logistics chain within the logistics process are composed of a series of stages or phases that are happening in a chain, depending, mainly, on the nature of the product itself and the main activity of the companies involved: industrial, commercial or of services.
FUNCTIONS OF THE LOGISTIC CHAIN
If we had to highlight a major role within the functions of the logistics chain, it would be the planning and management of all operations related to the optimal flow of goods or raw and processed from sources of supply to the final consumer materials.
LOGISTICS FUNCTIONS IN INDUSTRIAL COMPANIES
The industrial enterprises are characterized by their transforming activity. The logistic functions in this type of companies, are divided into 4 large groups:
- Procurement: The Tanker trucking function is to carry out a selection of the most efficient suppliers to supply the production center with the raw materials or elements that are best adapted to the volume and production rate, always guaranteeing the lowest possible cost.
- Production: The productive function consists of organizing the physical (factory and machinery), human (adequate and efficient personnel) means of production and processing (packaging, handling and storage).
- Commercial distribution: consists of adapting the warehouse and the means of transport. The logistics activities regarding storage focus on studying the optimal location of the premises, distribute spaces, placing products in the right place, manage stock, etc. The logistics applied in transport establishes the criteria to select the means and optimize the routes.
- After-sales service: it is essential for the company to be maintained in the market, and this will only be possible through the satisfaction of customers. Customer service Prime Mover Trucking activities focus on studying customer needs, managing orders and returns, establishing after-sales services for durable products, etc.
- The materials that make up the stock in the industrial enterprise are many and varied; also many stages of transformation pass and the flows that occur in the different warehouses are very frequent.
LOGISTICS FUNCTIONS IN COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISES
Commercial enterprises have their center of activity in the functions of distribution and procurement, the goods are goods acquired in order to resell them without a previous transformation to third parties:
The wholesale companies buy directly from the manufacturer and the resale is directed, mainly, towards retail companies or points of sale.
Retailers can buy from the manufacturer or the wholesaler and the sales are directed at the end consumer.
Prime Mover Trucking that are related to the flow of materials (storage and transport) vary from one company to another, depending on factors such as the size or organization of the company itself, the structure, the objectives established for each section of the company or for each area.
LOGISTICS FUNCTIONS IN SERVICE COMPANIES
Service companies focus their functions on meeting the needs of customers, through the services they provide. The goods they acquire are to carry out the activity they perform and on being of use are generally not stored.
For example, in a supply transportation company, vehicles and other services requested by its customers are formed. Also we can mention hotels and restaurants, in these companies the supplies that they acquire are of daily consumption (food, drinks …) or of use (clothes, crockery, glassware …) and the quantities that they store are minimum, to cover contingencies.